The president of the world’s largest authoritarian state, by contrast, walks with swagger abroad. His grip on China is tighter than any leader’s since Mao. And whereas Mao’s China was chaotic and miserably poor, Mr Xi’s is a dominant engine of global growth. His clout will soon be on full display.
Hi to my few readers: While this administration remains appalling, my life has become busier and there’s only so much depressing analysis I can take in, so clearly I’ve been posting less frequently. I still value this blog, particularly the resource pages that direct me and others to sources of news, calls to action, readings about social issues, and so on, so I’ll be leaving it up and contributing to it as I see fit.
Here are the real fucking political truths these “progressives” don’t want to admit:
- From civil rights, gay rights, women’s rights, health care reform, immigration issues… the Democratic Party has been at the forefront moving the discussion and policy forward.
- They’ve done this without the luxury of veto-proof majorities in Congress and without a lot of help from state legislatures.
- In fact, some of this progress was made IN SPITE OF Republican control and obstruction.
- If you fucking want FDR-like progress, you better do everything you can for FDR-like majorities in Congress.
- If you don’t give a Democratic president massive Democratic majorities in Congress and in the states, then you can eternally SHUT THE FUCK UP about how Democrats are “letting you down.”
- Democrats in 2017 are more progressive than Democrats of FDR’s time.
- The problem isn’t Democrats have moved to the right (they haven’t) but Republicans have moved significantly farther to the right. This movement along with the media’s incessant “both sides are the same” gives the perception Democrats have moved to the right as well.
The focus on one subsector of Trump voters—the white working class—is puzzling, given the breadth of his white coalition. Indeed, there is a kind of theater at work in which Trump’s presidency is pawned off as a product of the white working class as opposed to a product of an entire whiteness that includes the very authors doing the pawning. The motive is clear: escapism…. The left would much rather have a discussion about class struggles, which might entice the white working masses, instead of about the racist struggles that those same masses have historically been the agents and beneficiaries of. Moreover, to accept that whiteness brought us Donald Trump is to accept whiteness as an existential danger to the country and the world. But if the broad and remarkable white support for Donald Trump can be reduced to the righteous anger of a noble class of smallville firefighters and evangelicals, mocked by Brooklyn hipsters and womanist professors into voting against their interests, then the threat of racism and whiteness, the threat of the heirloom, can be dismissed. Consciences can be eased; no deeper existential reckoning is required.
I’ve posted about this issue before, and I’m sure you’ll be surprised to discover this administration has not prioritized fixing it.
The decennial census, that once-every-ten-years count of the American population, is drastically underfunded. And what happens if it’s underfunded? A lot of people don’t get counted, so they don’t get what they need in terms of hospitals, schools, roads, emergency services, healthcare, social services—the census numbers are the starting point for allocating more than $600 billion of federal funding every year.
The annual Annenberg Constitution Day Civics Survey finds that:
- More than half of Americans (53 percent) incorrectly think it is accurate to say that immigrants who are here illegally do not have any rights under the U.S. Constitution;
- More than a third of those surveyed (37 percent) can’t name any of the rights guaranteed under the First Amendment;
- Only a quarter of Americans (26 percent) can name all three branches of government.
The Dolchstoss myth that’s sure to take hold if Trump is impeached or quits under pressure will be virulent. The tale his devotees will raise their children to swear by will describe the nefarious way that coastal elites, partisan Democrats, the liberal media, and a whole slew of other pseudo-Americans—from Muslims relishing our surprise introduction to sharia law to transgender weirdos, man-hating feminists, and America-hating Obama zombies, not to mention pusillanimous establishment Republicans—all conspired to deprive them of the greatest president ever: the only one they felt ever spoke for them. There will be talk of armed insurrection. Aspiring Dylann Roofs will look for an enemy headquarters to shoot up. It will be ugly.